Monday, February 4, 2008

WA # 6

When we first got introduced to this project I knew that I wanted to do an author that I was interested in and a genre that caught my interest. That way I would it would be easier for me to read the books and look up information on the author if it was someone that I was really interested in. The genre that I enjoy the most is fiction, but more specifically fantasy books. As soon as I heard about this project I started looking up fiction and fantasy authors that I knew to see if they were American, but a lot of the ones that I was interested in were not American. I had first picked Lemony Snicket who is the author of the Series of Unfortunate Events series, but he did not really seem like that important of an American author.
Then I thought about the book Wicked and I looked up the author and sure enough he was American. That is what made me decide to choose Gregory Maguire who is the author of Wicked. I have heard about this book for a long time and how good it is and I figured that this was the prefect time to read this book and also find out more about this author. He sounds like a very interesting author and I like the idea that he takes fairy tales and writes them in different perspectives then people would think of. For example Wicked being told from the witches perspective form the Wizard of Oz. I always enjoyed fairytales when I was younger, so I think that his books would be fun for me to read.
As far as meeting the requirements I think Gregory Maguire meets all of the requirements. He lives in the United States and he has written quite a few books in the last couple of years. I think that he is an important author in our society. He has amazed most people and became most famous for his book Wicked and he appeals not only to kids, but also to adults. He has also funded some children organizations as well as writing his books. He is a well-known author to most people and most people that I talk to who have read his books really enjoy them.
For the paper I think that his books will help out a lot. I have heard that his books are well written and it might be interesting to do a paper about how we react to books when they are put in another perspective that we did not think of in the first place. Since his books are fiction and seem to be engaging I think that I would be able to find lot to write about for the paper. So I am not to worried about it.
The books that I am planning on reading that this author wrote right now are Wicked, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, and Mirror Mirror. I think that these books will be good, because they are big books and they are some of his more famous ones. I think that I will read Wicked first, because that is the book that drew me to this author, then Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister cause this one was the second one that sounded the most interesting to me when I was looking up his books and then Mirror Mirror last. Mirror Mirror still sounded interesting, but not as interesting to me as the other two. However this order might change as I hear more about the books or start skimming through them. I am still not sure though about the biography or articles of literary criticism. That is something that I still need to research into online in the next couple of days and weeks, because I don’t know if he has a biography or not.

No comments: